Bowel & Gut Disorders: Lifestyle Rx
Most bowel and gut disorders have a direct correlation between lifestyle and the severity of
their problems. It is important to remember that in addition to diet, stress can also be a major factor in aggravating bowel and gut issues. Even the more conservative practitioner now understands the
relationship between stress/diet and bowel/gut issues. It is key to take a holistic approach to
the problem and investigate all aspects of your life that may be affecting you including diet, exercise, stress, medications, etc. instead of just medicating the symptoms with prescription or over-the-counter drugs that may damage the gut in the long run.
Below are some recommendations to help restore a healthy balance of gut flora and to improve bowel and gut issues like constipation, diarrhea and leaky gut.
Key Recommendations to take control of your
- At minimum, take our Healthy Bowel Support and DigestPlus to begin restoring balance to the
gut, improving digestion and elimination, and providing the much needed friendly
bacteria. Remember, taking probiotics alone is not enough. Healthy Bowel Support is unique in that it also has prebiotics which heals the gut and fiber which improves digestion.
- We highly recommend you consider our Equilib product as a complete dietary
supplement to help correct nutrient deficiencies. This product is especially
helpful for those that are concerned with the mental and emotional
- Avoid foods that irritate the digestive tract. Some of these foods may include: processed foods, sugars, artificial sweeteners, dairy products, alcohol, etc.
- Eat whole unprocessed foods.
- Eat healthy fiber-rich
foods. Try to stick to natural sources of fiber like vegetables and fruits instead of fiber supplements. Any fiber supplement or source should include the whole food. For example, many people take wheat bran to up their fiber intake, but bran is only a part of the whole wheat grain. It is better to have whole sprouted or soaked wheat to ensure that your body digests the fiber. Healthy Bowel Support contains apple fiber from the whole apple.
- Grains are a good source of fiber if your body is not bothered by them. If you do consume grains it is important to prepare them properly by sprouting, soaking or fermenting them.
- Drink plenty of purified water! Many experts agree that you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water daily. For example, if you weigh 150 lbs. you should drink 75 oz. of water per day.
- Eat fermented foods like sauerkraut, kombucha, sourdough (make sure it is true sourdough), kefir, and kimchee (the bacteria in fermented foods and beverages can aid in restoring healthy gut flora)
- Many people choose to follow certain diets in addition to taking pre and probiotics to restore gut health. Some people have seen positive results by following diets like the GAPS diet and the SCD diet while taking Healthy Bowel Support and DigestPlus. Note: Although all other ingredients in Healthy Bowel Support are GAPS and SCD-legal, it does contain chicory root, which is technically not allowed on GAPS or SCD, however because of it's superior prebiotic effects many dieters have used it on these diets successfully.
- Exercise at least 3 days per week.
- Try to engage in a therapeutic activity that lowers your stress levels like yoga, meditation, massage painting or a hot bath a few times a week.
- Avoid antibiotics as they can destroy all healthy bacteria in your gut (leaving you back at square one).
- Avoid medications and over-the-counter drugs like antacids.